The Premier League is off and running and off to a flying start, one may add. Manchester City made their champions status known in East London while closest rivals Liverpool stuttered in their return to EPL action in West London.
Some newly-promoted clubs made massive statements going toe-to-toe with their opponents while others repeat the mistakes of those in the past by signing several new players with a poor end result.
The opening weekend, Matchday 1, saw plenty of action with fixtures full of newcomers in respective starting XI’s or creating an impact coming off the bench. With the first 10 encounters behind us, here are some of the stats from the weekend events, which will be followed by a ranking of the 10 best Premier League teams from Matchday 1.
Some Premier League Matchday 1 Weekend Stats:
- Number of winners and loses: 8 winners and 8 loses
- Points shared: In two games the points were shared, and four teams shared points
- Biggest win: Spurs 4-1 Southampton
- Lowest scoring game: Everton 0-1 Chelsea
- Goals scored: 28 Goals
- Clean Sheets: Five Clean Sheets
- Opening Goal of the Premier League: Arsenal’s Gabriel Martinelli
- Every EPL encounter had a goal
- Mohamed Salah took his opening-day record to six consecutive seasons
- Erling Haaland has now scored two or more goals on his debut in the Bundesliga, Champions League, and Premier League
- Brighton have registered their first-ever win over Manchester United, drawing two and losing 12 in their previous 14 visits to Old Trafford